I really enjoy to read posts about the tools/setup/workplace from other people like on usesthis.com. So here is mine.
Links to others I found interesting
- Some recent 14 inch DELL Laptop
- Jabra Evolve 75 headset
- Vortex New 75 (Race 3) Model VTG-8200 with Cherry MX Brown switches as my keyboard. I like the form factor without a numpad so the movement to the mouse isn’t to much and also the possibility to program it so I can remap the Caps Lock and Control keys without changing any settings in my operating system.
- Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4
- I have created a chat bot with Python and slixmpp which send me every morning the outside temperature, can dim my Hue lights, track my expense and more.
- I replaced grep with rg and ls with exa and love it.
- Backups are made with restic to Backblaze B2
- For bank stuff I use the fantastic MoneyMoney (one of the reasons I still use the old Mac Mini). It can connect also to PayPal and import transaction from csv files which I fill with my chat bot.
- My text editor of choice is Vim. I don’t use any plugins and very basic config. Most used features are Macros for massive one shot manipulation of text data for preparation to import into Excel.
- I use Syncthing to sync my document folder between my Mac Mini, home server and smartphone.
- On my home server I run RSS reader Miniflux with rss-bridge to integrate some Twitter and Facebook accounts and for our local newspaper which just doesn’t provide a rss feed. I save interesting links to things posted on webpages as text file and review it later, if it worth reading for me. If I would like to read it, I make a PDF or epub (with dotepub) of the link and import it to my calibre database. With Calibre-Web I can access my calibre database from my devices easily.
- After TLS 1.2 only switch of my mail provider mailbox.org I have switched to mutt with offlineimap, fdm for POP3-Accounts, notmuch for searching and khard and vdirsyncer for addresses. This all runs on my home server which I can access via SSH. Setup with the great documentation from the Arch Linux Wiki.
- tmux as my terminal multiplexer.
- My printer is a Epson ET-2650 with ink tanks.
- My browser since years is Mozilla Firefox also on my smartphone with Firefox Sync service.
- On my smartphone I use K9-Mail, Opentasks, Etar, KeePassDX, Total Commander, Conversation, WhatsApp, Spotify, meteoblue, Firefox, Book Read, Corona-Warn, ICSx5 and DAVx5, Markor, Syncthing, MuPDF Mini, Telegram, WarnWetter, WiFiAnalyzer
- My preferred font in terminal sessions is Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.
- Windows 10 with Office 365 and a lot of Excel (e.g. my to do list).
- SecureCRT as SSH and since 9.0 RDP client which a tone of handy features.
- rg for searching through big log files.
- Total Commander for all file system stuff.
- My browser is Microsoft Edge, the new one based on chromium.
- Ditto as clipboard manager and Claiver+ as text expander much improved my efficiency. Never think again, if I can copy this to the clipboard and lost the previous content or be annoyed by typing again my email address (40 characters!).
- Greenshot for screenshots and quick image manipulations.
- Tomighty for breaks and more structure.
- I prefer a Leuchtturm 1917 paper notebook classic in A5 dotted and love my uni-ball Kuru Toga Elite mechanical pencil.
I really like to have a treadmill setup like Stephen Wolfram.
If you want to make a comment or have a question just write me an email jummo(at)mailbox.org.
– January 2021